AWS (Amazon Web Services) failed big time on Tuesday. It appears that the failure was bigger than cloud technology giant, Amazon admitted.
We have been warning for some time that certain cloud providers are getting too big to fail and this outage proves the point.
Now in this connected age, it is difficult to operate without utilising this “too big to fail” set of providers, we all use apps in the “cloud” CRM (Salesforce), Accounting (Xero), Collaboration (Dropbox), the list goes on.
So what can you do to mitigate the risk to your business of a prolonged outage or worst still the loss of that precious data, without which your business might be in trouble?
Here are some things to consider:
1. Make sure that any data that you have in cloud-based apps is backed up to a different cloud provider OR to discs under your control.
2. Consider running the app yourself in a Private Cloud environment. This depends on whether your existing app can be run privately. If not consider an app that will allow your data to run in the cloud or on-premise.
3. Consider working with a smaller Cloud Provider that takes more care and where you are a valued client and not just a number. It would also help if that Cloud Provider was UK based.
4. Consider implementing a Private Cloud/Private Network solution so that your access to your data and applications.
5. If you run your own servers and data in the “Cloud” with the “too big to fail” set then you should consider talking to amatis about our Disaster Recovery options. We are about to announce a new product using VEEAM that will make your life a whole lot easier.
If you want to know more about our new VEEAM offering then Contact Us today.